Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hare ra Izzy

OK so not sure about my Maori spelling but there you have it she's gone !! We phoned her old family to let them know we were thinking about getting rid of her and her old father phoned back to say how happy he was and that he will have her back. He is no longer working away and has joined the fire service so has plenty of time to devote to her. The reunion was great Izzy jumped into his arms and licked his face. Going by email dates we had had her since October so we gave it a good shot. He also told us he'd been up all night because he had been so excited to see her again.

Also must note the last straw with Izzy was the two chickens she ate on Friday ! luckily for her they were both roosters that needed to go. I have found another method for ridding ourselves of excess roosters, a partner of a play centre mum works at reptile park and they will happily take roosters of your hands for you. I think in the future we might have to only breed chickens that are easy to sex because roosters really are just a waste of chick food.  Current chicken statistics just for interest 2 old bantams, 14 teenage chickens (born in December so should start laying soon then we will really know who to get rid of) 9 chicks(born midfeb) 12 eggs in the oven (due 15th march). Will have to start getting into breeding and selling I think as chickens are quite fun and you can get a little bit for a pure breed chicken.
Teenage chickens in their run they do free range completely during the day and just run around the yard. 

Young Fin really enjoyed his party on Saturday. I'm very impressed by just how much fun he had and how cool and confident he was with all his little mates at his house. All presents were opened virtually on arrival so he's defiantly got the idea on that one. He giggled madly while everyone sung him happy birthday which is fantastic because I think even a few months ago he would have more inclined to hide behind me and cry at the prospect of singing and being the centre of attention. All of the kids just played really well together with no tears or tantrums. I didn't organise any games but all the kids seemed pretty happy checking out chickens, feeding goats, bouncing on the trampoline and off course eating. BBQ food was great as all the salads were prepared earlier and the men took care of the meat. Fin also especially enjoyed the fire twirling and pyrotechnics. No he didn't have a turn :) and all the other children had gone home to bed by that time but Fin stayed up late to watch Thanks uncle Grant. I don't think I know of any other 3year old parties that included pyrotechnics and fire twirling, I'm sure there is a much cooler word than fire twirling.


Beautiful Wenderholm where I am thinking about having Fins party next year.

Lastly my final life goal for the moment is to fly proof my home ! that was the only downside to the party was the decision to just leave the doors open so that all of our guests didn't roast. The flies decided to join the party too. I purchased a little glade plug in that did nothing, it kills a few when all the doors are closed but I'd say our living area is too large for it to have much effect. Yesterday we popped out to mitre ten and purchase some insect screen and wood and Neville is currently building some screens for me. He also purchased me a little zapper which I am having fun electrocuting flies with today. Much better than an old fashioned swat which leaves a horrible mess. Off course the ultimate goal is to stop them getting in at all. Ahh the joys of country living.  

No comments:

Post a Comment