Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sick Chicks and busy days

 Ok so here is my tuesday blog and it is friday , must post next tuesday , will even pop it on my calender. When I get myself a calander for this year that is and oh dear it's almost february !

: ( We have a had a week of farm sickness. Tuesday a sheep was looking unhappy so we brought her into the lawn only to discover she probably had mastitis. First time hearding a sheep by the way and the help from Finley , Jean (the goat) and Izzy (the dog) was invaluable (note sarcasm). We phoned her owners and they came and collected her to take her home and give her antibiotics.

Wednesday morning I awoke to a dead chick in the box. That being the first night we had left there night light of I assumed that was the problem. The day before Fin had feed the older chocks some food and the younger chicks had gotten some so Nev assumed that was the problem. That day I also noted the droppings of the remaining chickens were red, a quick type into dr google and we are assuming they have 'Coccidiosis' , which means horrible little bugs in their intestines. They are on chick starter feed which has some medicine in it but clearly not enough. This combined with the fact that they may have been eating the big chickens poop whilst outside and the fact that there inside box isn't big enough for them anymore has made them sick. 
I feel quite horrible that because we are not experienced farmers we have made these mistakes and the little chick has lost her life for no good reason. I am hopeful that we don't lose anymore and Nev will try to pick up some medicine at a feed store or vet today. Oh just another note about chickens I promise I'll stop talking about them soon ! Nev has bought more fertilised eggs hmmmm . So I am back on Egg turning duties sigh, He must of assumed because I complain about getting bored at home I wanted more work to do sigh. 


Billy and Jean are lovely and well. As I mentioned earlier Jean joined us in the main paddock whilst "herding" ( I use the term very loosely) sheep. The only times Jean has left her paddock have been when I am in the main paddock and she wants to come with me so that is nice, but shows that sheep netting isn't really goat proof. I'm happy that she however chooses to stay home normally. I missed the photo opportunity of Jean and Finley walking along the fallen tree together. Very very cute and those two are great mates. I love how confident Fin is with all his animal friends. 


Izzy is in heat at the moment so we are keeping her inside as the neighbours labrodors and jack russell all have their nuts. We would like to breed her with a collie when she is a bit older so the dogs will be wanted dogs and we can make a little pocket money for some projects around the home. I am normally very pro desexing animals and may desex her after breeding her once but am looking foward to giving it a try . Probably next time she comes in season which I guess will be around six months from now ?? We will keep one of her babies for company for her and sell the rest.


 Charlie is also fantastic, still not walking but very proud of himself when he stands up. Nev is a bit stressed with trying to fix his motorbike himself. I am looking foward to the end of school holidays next week, playcentre starting back up and deciding whether we want to do kindy, puhoi playgroup or Ahuroa school three's and fours fridays. I have reason for wanting to do all of the above but obviously cant do it all as there aren't enought days in the week. Will go in to them next week but I feel I have rambled enough to drive anyone batty this week. If you are still reading congratulations here is a cute photo for your efforts :) 


Oh help oh no It's a Gruffalo !!  

No comments:

Post a Comment